Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dear YOU

I am writing a letter, that I am sure of. The tricky part is I don’t know who to address it to. The only thing I know is there are words that needed to be written down. And these words, they’ll only make sense if I write them for someone, anyone.

So this letter is addressed to you, you reading this. I supposed that’ll do.

Dear You,

There is this man I have loved for more than 11 years now. Being 26, that counts as almost half of my life already. A few days ago, he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. Frankly, that question didn’t need answering. It need not been asked with a ring and a grand gesture, in the first place.  A quiet conversation to agree on the date, church and venue to book for the wedding would have been perfectly fine with me. But that boy, he’s always been so persistent in making all the necessary stops for me. So when he got down on one knee and uttered the question, in front of our dearest friends, in a remote island, I responded with the easiest YES of my life.

For a few seconds after that moment, I was staring at the ring with a confused look on my face that prompted him to ask if I didn’t like it. I confessed that my worry was I don’t seem like the type to wear an engagement ring. Parang hindi bagay sa kin may suot na ganito, was exactly what I uttered. That second after committing myself to a lifetime with someone, of entrusting my future to be in the hands of someone else even though I know I could do so well on my own, all those difficult things to consider, and the only thing I was worried about was that I’m not the diamonds are a girl’s best friend kind of girl. We both laughed.

Don’t get me wrong. We both know how serious this is. It took a couple of days before the euphoria faded and I started thinking about the big things that come with that moment. There’s a pain in my gut just thinking about it. But you know what made it so easy to say yes? Him; he did.

I am marrying a man who treats me like a 10, and has done so consistently all the years we spent together. He looks at me like I’m the perfect girl. When in reality, I am far from being perfect. Most times, I’m barely even a girl.

He is kind and loving and honest, but he is his kindest, most loving, most honest self when it is just the two of us, when we are each other’s audience. He possesses this gift of being honest without having to hurt. He is not a push-over, no. He knows how to duel when a duel needs to be had. But even in the middle of disagreements, I am certain that we are both gutting it out because we love each other.

I’ve written this before, but it’s worth mentioning again: I love this man effortlessly, completely, without leaving anything for myself because he loves me the very same way first.

I am marrying a guy I love and like, at the same time, and in equal measure. How can you love someone you do not like, anyway?

When he proposed to me, he started by saying, ‘I want to remind you that what we’re about to do is not easy..’. I didn’t hear it at that moment. Honestly, I didn’t hear a thing the entire proposal. He repeated his speech over dinner and I found myself feeling grateful that he knew, when he asked me to marry him, he knew that we are in for a long, bumpy ride with no option of turning back, but still, he did it.

There are so many moments when I still find it hard to believe that someone can know me so well and still love me this much.

I don’t know what the future has in store for us, but I do know that in this lifetime adventure of ours, I will have this man by my side no matter what. No ifs, no buts, no doubt.

You still follow me?

This seems like bragging, I know. I hope I thought of another way of putting all this but I couldn’t. I didn’t write this, though, to make you envious. I wrote this because I want you to believe that someday you are going to write a letter like this one. You will tell the story of your one great love, and people who’ll read it might feel that you’re being too proud about it. Because you are. You should be. So be.  Find a love you can be proud of, my sweetheart. It’s out there and it’s worth it.

I’ll expect a letter when do.



Hey Fiancé,
No diamond and proposal story will ever measure up 
to how you’ve always loved and taken care of me all these years. 
Those are the things I said yes to.

But you picked a pretty ring, too. Hihi

Mahal kita.


Your Fish

Comments:
Awww, your letter warmed my heart :)) You are both lucky to have each other. (hindi niyo ko kilala but I've been a 'fan' of your blog since last year)
Cheers to many blessings in the years to come!
 
Thank you for reading! :)

 
So ngayon ko lang nabasa... :) I'll be always grateful to know and witness your love story. Favorite couple nga eh. :) thank you for being a real inspiration for a decade now. :) Congrats liana and keng!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]