Sunday, May 12, 2013

Predictably (and amusingly so) Irrational

I swear I read Freakonomics. But ask me now what chapter I found most interesting and the only response I can give you is a guilty smirk. It was amusing- the relationships, the variables, the way factors are interconnected- but it was simply not my cup of tea.

However, I haven’t given up on Economics just yet.

Predictably Irrational is a compilation of research experiments that tackle Economics. The difference between this and Freakonomics? Predictably Irrational explores the world of Behavioral Economics.

“Behavioral Economics is a relatively new field, one that draws aspects of both psychology and economics. It’s not just the behavior that I aim to understand, but the decision-making process behind such behavior”. –Dan Ariely, Author

Using my own words, this book helped me understand why we all want to be honest, happy and content individuals but find it challenging to be so. Is it the environment? Is it pressure from other people? Through simple yet structured experiments, this book somehow managed to dig into the bottom of things: we are the very people who sabotage our own happiness, and we do it not only by being irrational, but by being predictably so.

If there is a substantial amount of curiosity you’ve developed by now that may urge you to get a copy of this book, stop right here. I don’t want to spoil it for you. If not, read on and appreciate a handful of my favorite insights:


And lastly, even though I get to appreciate Economics more through this book, I’m still a hopeless romantic. Isn’t this one of the simplest, yet sweetest dedications, ever??? J



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]