Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Geography of Bliss

I love to read as much as I love to write, so it is a bit weird that I haven't interlaced the two loves and written a book review. Other than not having enough adjectives in my vocabulary to accomplish such, I never felt capable of detaching myself from a book enough to write about it objectively. Reading a book has always been personal, an introspection.

But not writing a book review won't stop me from sharing a treasure when I've found one.

Like this one:

The Geography of Bliss via Google images
I remember walking along Rizal Boulevard in Dumaguete, observing how simple life is at that place and asking my friends, 'Masaya kaya sila?. Having been to different places, especially Siquijor, Sagada and Cambodia, made me ask myself that question more often. This book was written to sort of answer that. I felt like I found a soulmate!


READ IT.

That is the point of this entry in 2 words. I want you to read it, indulge in it, question your principles, learn from it, take the journey, cry because you realize you are shallow, laugh because you know better. Read it and tell me how you feel about it. Or tell your friends. This book is a cup overflowing with insights, brutal truth, loneliness and, yes, bliss mixed with a teaspoon of the author's skepticism that also made it amusing. Oh, have I told you you SHOULD read it?

Money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important. So are friends. Envy is toxic. So is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude.”- Eric Weiner, The Geography of Bliss


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]