Sunday, November 11, 2012

24: Cracking the secret adult code

I've always wondered how come adults effortlessly exude calmness and authority, and from what point they start doing so. I don't know if I can be considered an adult already but I sure do not possess that kind of confidence yet. Or at least, I did not. Until recently.

When I was a lot younger I thought being an adult means being more certain about myself and my desires- having all the answers; I thought it was another 'I woke up one morning...' kind of thing. It was a long process from holding on to that idea to finally figuring out the truth. And I truly feel that it's this year when I'm able to comprehend what being an adult takes and where that enviable sense of security comes from.

It's about learning to control my actions and at the same time, letting loose of the usual tied-up expectation that the outcomes are controllable. It is focusing on the present rather than incessantly worrying about the future. It is taking ownership of my time and being productive rather than letting the hours slip away. It is not about knowing everything but trusting that everything will fall into place somehow.

Basically, I learned that the calmness adults radiate comes not from knowing everything, but from not knowing and being okay with it. And this year, I feel like I finally mastered that trick.


Happy 24 to meeee!

Thank You for the many, although initially painful, wonderful lessons I've learned this year that contributed so much into helping me mold a heart strong enough to trust its struggles. :)) If this is what being an adult means, let me join the club.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]