Sunday, September 23, 2012

20 seconds

This is another yoga story. So if you're sick of it, skip this one. I'm far from being over this path and, honestly, the excitement and enthusiasm continue to grow. :)

One of the most important lessons I learned in my yoga practice is to be kind to my body. Every class, I have to gauge whether it's discomfort or pain I'm feeling while doing the asanas or poses. If it's just discomfort, I'll breathe through it. On the other hand, if it's already pain, I have to stop and let go- regardless if everybody else in the class can do it, if it seems easy, if I've done it before. There is no room for ego in class. If you worry about hurting your ego, you'll end up hurting yourself.

All along I made myself believe I was using this 'be kind to your body' as a reminder for safety. However, in brief instances, I would have to admit I used it lamely as an excuse. Trying to kick my feet into headstand in class is definitely one of those instances.

I've heard all the instructions from different teachers: get into dolphin pose for preparation, keep your shoulders away from the ears, practice by the wall, engage your core, etc.etc. I could probably assist someone with enough guts to do it and help her get there. I was scared, obviously. I didn't want to hurt myself. And more than that, I didn't want to call the attention of the teacher to assist me, have all eyes on me and just fail. I wanted to be ready. But really, how does one know?

It took some hand-me-down courage from a friend who fearlessly tried it and a few seconds of sheer stupidity to finally face the wall, position my head and hands on the floor, and..... FALL! I was laughing so hard when I hit the floor, and that's when I realized it was the worst thing that could happen. I knew how to do it safely. I was ready to seriously give it a try.

After a few more unsuccessful kicks, landing at the soles of my feet and no longer falling, I FINALLY DID IT!

Look at my supportive dad acting as my spotter! 

Hello, from upside down!!!

The first time I stayed upside down, I felt a little woozy. It's normal, I think, since our body is not used to that position. But after a few more attempts, that feeling went away. Even the pressure on my head transferred to my arms and shoulders, and that's when I knew I was doing it right. Still exerting so much effort, but no more discomfort. Just to make sure, I asked my teacher in class the next day to assist me and fine-tune my headstand. Yep, MY HEADSTAND! I didn't care that the people in the class were watching, or that the girl beside me is already in her steady headstand without the need for assistance. Yoga isn't a performance, after all. I know that by heart now. :)

There's this famous quote from the movie 'We bought a zoo' that goes:

"Sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, just 20 seconds of embarrassing bravery and I promise you something great will come out of it."

It's true. 
It took me a few seconds to not think and just do, to make that kick AND FALL, and realize that the worst thing that can happen is not even that bad, after all.

P.S.
I remember promising myself a Manduka mat if I'm finally able to a headstand, so......... :)))




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]