Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ethics 101

I still believe in handwritten reminders, in planners that aren't programs in phones or tablets, in alarm clocks with those little ears, among other old school things that technology is slowly trying to replace. I am not allergic to change. But as much as I believe in embracing new things, I also believe in not replacing things that aren't broken. If it works for you, stick to it.

Same goes for traditional learning. I am all for learning outside the classroom but I believe I can learn as much inside one, too.

Last term, in graduate school, I came across a living reminder of why I have learned so much as a student. He isn't old old, but he gives off that vibe of certainty, of having earned that spot in front of us. He sounds accomplished, even without having to brag a bit. And boy was that man passionate. He is an environmentalist and he had his house built around a mango tree because he didn't want to cut it down.

Sir Festin was my Ethics professor. I didn't expect there was interesting stuff I could pick up from his subject. As a CPA, we adhere to our own Code of Ethics. It was straightforward, black and white, there wasn't much to discuss.  During our first meeting, he introduced himself as a lawyer but emphasized that he's no longer practicing as one, ever since he started teaching the subject. It was self-explanatory, he said, and at that point I knew I was wrong to thik there was nothing to learn from this person.

He taught us about honesty, integrity, about the dangers of being tagged as 'mabait', of compassion, of possessing moral imagination. More importantly, he taught us how to apply all those values in our lives, especially as professionals. How can we not learn and find inspiration from a man who defended the Sumilao farmers who walked from Bukidnon to Manila for 60 days? That, among his many other achievements which made him credible to teach Ethics.

Aside from his professional achievements, what made me admire him is how he talked about his family. In one of our discussions, he shared that he was often asked what he wanted to bequeath his children. Aside from good education, he said, all he ever wanted was for his children to have the ability to make the right decisions for themselves. Regardless of his protective core, being a father to 3 girls, he still recognizes that the decisions rest upon his children.

Our class was at 9am, on a saturday, and I wake up early without complain because I knew it was worth it- every single time. He was a reflection of where I want to be in my life when I take a chance on teaching. I want to be as certain, as accomplished, as smart as he is in all the right ways. His last words for us was to remember 2 things: first, to develop moral imagination, a sense of considering the consequences before making an action; and second, to always have empathy, a sense for others.

We have learned those, for sure. Plus a whole lot more.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]