Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Bliss in Yoga

I waited two weeks before I wrote about this new love. You can't imagine how excited I was to document the experience and overuse the word 'amazing' right after my first session. But I had to stop myself. I wanted the excitement to settle first; I wanted to test whether I will get past the honeymoon stage and emerge with a desire to commit. Afterall, not all the things I "tried", I end up "doing".

A couple of months ago, I started running again.  I run every other day at 5AM. Doing this gave me a renewed desire to stay fit and healthy. I'm already satisfied with running, but I thought why not use this energy to learn something new.

And this is where yoga comes in.

Yes, yoga. I know, it doesn't seem like the usual sport/activity I'd go for. I like outdoor activities, team sports, physical contact. But other than getting physical benefits, I wanted something that can help me enhance my concentration and develop inner peace. I attended my first session without any expectation; I left the studio wanting more.

Bliss Yoga via their website

Newfound happy place via Bliss Yoga's website

To set the record straight, yoga will not make you fall asleep. It isn't boring and it sure isn't easy. Yoga may be a slow moving version of the routine exercise we are used to. But the poses, and the number of breaths you are required to hold still, will wake every muscle in your body! It is crazy how such limited movements can make you sweat like crazy. Plus, it makes you aware of your strength. I have a classmate ( I don't know what else to call him, sorry) who is a crossfitter. Imagine how strong that muscular dude is, considering he lift weights and do suspension training. But there were poses he found too difficult to even try. His legs were shaking by the time we finish. Yoga will sure test your limit. But the nice thing about it is, it will teach you to be compassionate toward your own body. And, eventually, you are expected to carry that compassion in your everyday life.

Yoga is a personal experience. You get from it what you are willing to give. You are confined to the four corners of your mat. What goes through your head, aside from the instruction of the Yogi, depends on what you allow to distract you. I especially like the end part of the practice, when we are led to lie down and lights are put out. It feels so serene. I feel completely aware of every inch of my body and can almost feel peace radiating from my skin.


I first came down my mat, admittedly, as an alternative way of exercising. But now it has become something more than that. It is my personal time, a way to relieve stress and tension. It is my break from the everyday hustle. It's a simple gift I give myself.

"Soften your heart, clear your mind, strengthen your body."- Bliss Yoga


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]