Tuesday, May 29, 2012

IT PAYS TO BE HUNGRY- A hundred AMENs!

I've been in the middle of "money talks" with peers a couple of times, trying to explain how my parents did the disciplining when it came to expenses and saving up, since we were kids. Yes, kids. My brother and I used to have a Solid Bank Fun Savers Club Passbook. There's no more Solid Bank now, but I am proud to say every single peso in that account is still in my current passbook- without the ITF, of course!

During those adult conversations, I would stress that it is ALWAYS possible to save. Forget the amount, it is about the discipline. A P500 may mean nothing, but pool all those gold bills you save every payday and you'll surely end up with an amount that may take you somewhere farther than Starbucks or your local movie house. As my dad would say, 'It is not about saving for the "kapag may asawa and anak ka na" future. It is about saving up for experiences, for opportunities and for things more meaningful than avoidable daily expenses you forget about the next day. When something comes up, you want to have the resources to grab it." (Like when I finally meet the perfect Euro trip buddy, yes? ;))

The bottom line is, we were taught early on how important every single peso is.

Cara Manglapus explained the HOW part very well in this piece:



How It Pays To Be Hungry

From the 4th to the 7th grade, I was given an allowance of 30 Pesos a week
In high school, that allowance was upgraded to 100 Pesos a week.
In college, my first two years saw 500 Pesos a month,
with a raise to 1,000 Pesos for junior and senior year.

I wore the same two pairs of jeans to school every other day,
the same sneakers,
carried the same book bag.

The same two pairs of jeans, the same sneakers, and the same book bag,
bought with the same 500 Pesos.

When I got my first job 4 months after receiving my diploma, I was elated.
I haven’t asked my parents for a single Peso, since.

And it feels awesome.

Thanks, mom and dad,
for putting me through school,
for your kindness and generosity,
for allowing me a sense of self worth.

Thanks, mom and dad,
for always giving me enough to do something,
but never enough to do nothing.

With the joy of every earned Peso,
you have given me the world.


Cara Manglapus
Age: 24
Hungry for success


AMEN.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]