Sunday, April 1, 2012

A writer. Who? Me?


Receiving compliments about my writing has always been awkward. I never know how to respond. A ‘thank you’ sounds too forward; dismissing it seems hypocritical. Most of the time, I move swiftly to another topic and avoid any chance of this blog ever being brought up.

I already wrote about my dream of being a lawyer. I shamelessly wrote about my goal of becoming a partner of a firm. Both are now safely locked into the ‘not for me’ dreams chest. But about becoming a writer? No, I don’t think I ever admitted that.

Being a writer has always been a distant ambition. I graduated with a degree that is too technical we are required to pass a government exam before practicing it. I belong in a field that mainly requires the use of intellect and logic, and religiously abiding by the rules. No offense to my colleagues but, sometimes, it can get really boring.

Writing saves me from the humdrum of everyday grind.

I don’t know if this is worth a space in the vast and judging place that is the world wide web, but I am making it known now:

I want to be a writer. I want to write something worth reading. I want to collect words, tie them in a string and put it around everyone’s wrists, so they can feel me with every beat of their pulse.

I want to be a writer. Not necessarily a celebrated one. I just want to write and create and pour my heart out and let words drip out of my fingertips. And when someone calls me a writer, not even compliment me but just label me with that word, I don’t want to shy away.

Yes, that last one; I would love that. 

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]