Sunday, February 5, 2012

Masarap din pala maging Atenista

I am the girl from the other school. At least that is how I have always felt whenever I take my Buscomm class. Our professor has been with Ateneo all her life, as in all her maybe 45(?) years of studying and teaching. She drops anti-La Salle punch lines every hour, while I manage keeping a straight face through all that. I can always raise my point but they will surely bash me with, ‘Why are you in Ateneo, then?’. And I acknowledge that as a valid point. So, most of the time, I keep opinions to myself. Our professor is obviously fond of Ateneans. What’s the point of trying to change that?

Last Saturday, I felt things have changed- for the better, yes. And this is brought about by my “I’ve been with the same guy for 8 years” revelation during my 5-minute impromptu speech. I picked a personal question that gave my professor and the entire class an opportunity to get to know me. The downside, though, is that she calls me ALL THE TIME now and asks the weirdest question. Care to know how weird is weird?

She called me and asked how my boyfriend communicates with a kiss. Where did that come from??? The only thing more embarrassing is my mom asking me that same question!

Luckily, I got through it by giving a lame “passionately” answer because I was blushing to death I couldn’t think straight. I just made a comeback by saying “tenderly, because I have braces” when I got over the initial shock.

That was only the beginning of a series of personal (some too personal) questions that allowed all of us to loosen up and be ourselves. We laughed our way through the rest of the embarrassing questions. There are a few x-rated answers that I choose not share because I want to keep this wholesome!

Towards the end of the class I was (AGAIN) called by my professor:

Prof: Lian, example of a hyperbole your boyfriend told you.
Me: He got this from a book. I love you as far as the moon- and back.
Prof: So parang, ‘Mamahalin kita hanggang sa dulo nang walang hanngan.’
Me: Yes, Ma’am. Pero... BABALIK PA.
*cheers from the class*

There was something about that day that made me feel I finally belong there. It’s beyond the La Salle- Ateneo rivalry; that’s too shallow. I’m the new girl in school- that is stressful enough. Coming from the other side is just an additional stress factor.

I ended that day knowing I can be myself. That I no longer have to limit my words with what’s in my resume. I’m done being the wallflower. It’s time to shed off the coating. :)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]