Sunday, November 13, 2011

Secret Mission: Accomplished!

It was never a secret that I picked Accountancy for my undergrad course not to be an Accountant but with a bigger goal in mind: go into law school. Somewhere along the way, plans changed. I realized my childhood dream of becoming lawyer doesn’t really fit the grown-up me. I couldn’t see myself being a part of that profession- no offense meant.


Standing alone, as geeky as this sounds, I learned to love Accountancy. It offered the kind of intellectual challenge that is very, very humbling. And I believe that played a huge role in helping me mature as a young adult. Then again, in my 2 years of being an Accountant (or Auditor, whatever), I am still not contented. There is that part of me that yearns for something more. Or something else, for that matter.


My job has been very challenging and I feel very fortunate because of all the opportunities that had been thrown my way this early in my career. Work is far from being easy but I appreciate that I get to manage engagements, handle people and train staff at this age. But, as I’ve written, I was craving for something else.


And that ‘something else’ is this: MBA (then become a Manager, instead of an Accountant)


I had been dropping the plan in any normal conversation with friends. Mentioning it wasn’t a big deal, especially during that time I still wasn’t qualified to take it. But when everything fell into place and I finally met all requirements, I started shoving it away.


I talked about it less and less. I stopped researching about it. I started reviewing for the entrance exam but never got as far as applying for it! In short, I chickened out.


First term slipped away. Not long after, application for the second term started. I re-evaluated my plans; I reflected if this is truly what I wanted. When I had all the answers, except for the one that can justify my fear of being rejected, I finally decided to go for it. Everything after that happened fast.


Wednesday: I submitted my application and scheduled my exam a month later. Registrar guy convinced me to take the Saturday exam, instead. I don’t know how he made me say yes!


Saturday: I took the entrance exam. The questions weren’t too difficult but the challenge was finishing it given the limited time.


Friday of the following week: Results were out! I passed! :)


Last week, I enrolled for my first 2 subjects. I could have been exempted from those but I opted to take them, anyway. I entered graduate school neither for the title’s sake nor because my boss required me to. I took my MBA because I wanted to learn, and I believe there are still things I could take- away from those subjects. (Mental note to remember this principle forever.)


I am exactly 6 days away from starting this adventure. I am, honestly, getting cold feet. So, instead of thinking negatively, I’ll take comfort in the words of a nine-year old shared by her mom in twitter:


Nothing worth doing doesn’t make you nervous. (So true!)



I am feeling a little scared because this matters a lot to me. I know, I know. Graduate school, don’t eat me alive, please!


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]