Monday, August 8, 2011

One 'best thing'

Today I received some good news. Actually, it was more of confirmation of some good news. It had been lingering on top of my brain for a while now but I never allowed it to fully sink in. I was blocking it, knowing it wouldn’t be good news for everyone else. But for the next few minutes or so, I will be selfish. I will permit myself to be happy, to accept the fact that, standing alone, I deserve this. For a short while, I will think of no one else’s feeling but my own; I owe this to myself.

Two years- while most friends had already shifted jobs, earned close to 6 digits and made a few steps up that corporate ladder, I decided to stick with my first job. I decided to stick with a job that, not only doesn’t give enough benefits, but also demand so much from m
e to the point that leaving the office at 5:30pm entails a certain feeling of guilt.

I stayed for a lot of reasons and this “good news” is one of them:


Priceless feeling: walking up the stage, standing there and seeing your officemates/friends cheer for you. :)

With the other promotees
Liana Igna, Senior Associate



I could not possibly pick the exact word to describe how it felt, waiting at the backstage with all the other promotees. It was a surreal feeling. PURE HAPPINESS, if I may use that line from a famous TV Ad.

Reaching this point wouldn't be possible without the help of other people. More than my bosses (who are really in my life to guide me in my carreer), I appreciate how much my family supported me from day one. There is no way I could have delivered and met my bosses' expectations had my parents been unwilling to pick me up from work ANYTIME (think 4am). That, among many other things they have done to take care of me and make everything else easier for their baby. :))

And to that one person who, even after resigning from the firm, still welcomes busy season blues care of his overworked girlfriend, I couldn’t thank you enough.


From the day I got the news...
... to the day of the firm's anniversary, he stood beside me. He gladly crashed the party in his sleek coat and tie (perfect prom date!) with a bouquet of flowers to surprise his girl. I was beyond touched. :))


There are few things in life I know with absolute certainty.

Very few things.

One of those is that good news or bad, win or lose, you will always be that one person I will run to. You will forever be the tap on the back that will complete my happiness and the shoulder to cry on that can fix me. In Lucas Scott’s words, “You are the person I want beside me when my dreams come true. You are the person I want beside me when they don’t”.

You are one of the best things that ever happened to me.
And all the other best things happened because you are with me.
Thank you for being you.
You are a rarity.




Congratulations to all the promotees! Hard work paid off! :)))

Written on August 4, 2011

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]