Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Sob Story

I haven’t come across a movie that made me shed buckets of tears for quite a long while now, until Blue Valentine. Fine, I’m a cry baby, I know. I cried watching Princess Diaries 1. In my defense, movies, especially romantic ones, make me cry happy tears; that ‘aaaawwwww’ kind of overwhelming feeling.

With Blue Valentine, though, it was different. Very different.




From love at first sight to their wedding. And then, it went downhill from there.


Watching it was like watching two movies. Imagine The Notebook and the most heartbreaking movie (think 500 days of summer x 100 level) you know, only use the same characters for both. The Notebook being the beginning of their ever beautiful love story, the other one being the end. And then, combine them, in such a way that they will cross- cut into different time periods. Heart-breaking, I tell you.

There are not enough words in my very limited vocabulary to describe vividly how it made me feel. What I know is that, despite the many obscene parts that may seem too offensive if to be viewed alone, I got past all those awkward moments and was able to dig well into the blatant honesty of this story, embrace the authenticity of the characters and, even with all attempts of preventing it, weep uncontrollably.

The story, in a word, is real.
It is so real statistics will tell you it happens half the time.
Sad, but true.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]