Saturday, May 7, 2011

Because it's her day...

Today is Mothers’ Day and I can’t help but recall the night I shared an amazing conversation with my mom.

‘Your dad and I got secretly married’, she told me some ten years ago, ‘10 months before our actual church wedding.’ I was shocked, partly since I never knew anyone would stop had they wanted to get married anytime so there wasn’t a need to hide it, but mostly because the most responsible person I know just confessed that she once acted irresponsibly and in what could have been the biggest mistake of her life, at that! She went on telling the whole story and I ended up having a bestfriend.

From that conversation on, I knew my mom would be the person I can run to for anything. I knew that past her protective core, she can and will understand my naivety and vulnerability. She will never judge. She will get mad. Yes, she will do a lot of the nagging, but never will she judge. Because take all the negative things together and she’ll still find her way to the good intentions placed at the bottom of my heart. And for mothers, those are always good enough.

Today is Mothers’ Day and I can enumerate all the things you do for me every single day, ever since God knows when, but that would be too long a list. I’ll just pick the most important one:

More than caring for and loving me, thank you for KNOWING me. We may not have a perfect relationship but we have one. And I don’t think every mother-daughter pair can say that. But because of your amazing ways of balancing discipline and compassion, liberty and guidance, selflessness and distance, we have built a connection this strong. I have no idea how you do it and I look forward to the day you’ll be guiding me when it’s my finally turn. Because if I would be half the mom you are to me, my kids will be more than okay.






Happy Mothers’ Day! I love you.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]