Thursday, November 11, 2010

Death by Caffeine

I don’t know how to make coffee. Insert ‘a cup of’ in between the last two words.

The first time I tried, I put as much coffee powder as you would if you were making Ovaltine. As you predicted, it tasted, not just too bitter, but bad. Like, really bad it tasted as something you shouldn’t be tasting, at all. So, needless to say, my first attempt in feeling all domesticated, making a cup of coffee on my own, was also the last. But that was definitely not the end of my affair with coffee. Thank God for Starbucks and 3-in-1 instant sachets.

Like any other addiction, mine was fueled by stress and the psychological factor of believing it actually helps me. From being a necessity, coffee in the morning turned into a habit, then a ritual, then I slowly drifted to the point of no return.

My coffee habit was born out of the inevitable challenge of staying awake for 18 hours, day by day, just to earn a CPA license. Every single review day, caffeine touches my taste buds even before I’m awake enough to hit the shower. I stare at my room’s white walls, trying to take mental notes of the books and reviewers I should bring for the day. Which, I should have probably done after my coffee, since I ended up always missing something.

CPA board exam and 2 years later, I still have coffee every morning- less the valid excuse of trying to stay awake so I could study. Officemates remind me it’s not good for my health. I know that. But these days, it is a choice between insanity and high sugar levels. I’d rather be on a constant sugar high.


This sounds like a line from an ad but coffee makes a good morning. Remind me to sue Nescafe if that ever appears on your TV screens (I kid.). At least, it makes a good starter. Those few minutes I allow myself to stare out the office window, smell the aroma of cheap instant coffee, while I sip in between positive morning thoughts popping in my brain, those are sacred. It’s like a ritual. Take that away and I’m likely to throw a fit by noon. So call me an addict whatever. Just give me my coffee. Or else.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]