Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The One

It was the day we were set to depart from HK. In line for check-in, I was texting the boyfriend, who got back in PH an hour earlier, telling him how much I missed him already, when a friend blurted out that she, too, was missing him. Not that there was anything fishy, she was just bullying another guy friend who refused to offer help with our bags. They were all missing my natured gentleman of a boyfriend and it warmed my heart.

I’ve always known I would fall for the guy who opens doors for me, carries my bag when needed, assists me when crossing busy streets and gives up his seat when I enter the room. The typical boy-next-door slash knight-in-shining-armor; whether he exists or not was irrelevant. Imagine my surprise when I got everything I wanted- and more- because the man I fell in love with does all those things, not just for me, but for friends and family, too.

I know, it has a different ring to it when you tell people “He’s a changed man because of me.” and all that bad-boy- turned- prince drama. But my boyfriend never needed much of a conversion. He has been a good guy ever since. And I take comfort in knowing I can trust him, not just because he loves me, but because he’s that guy.

He’s the guy girls run to for man-advice during man troubles, the guy girls refer to when looking for “the one”. He is the ultimate, ultimate gentleman. Okay, it sounds like I’m building him up too much with these words. But I swear, to say the least, he is the guy you would want to replicate and distribute to friends, just so they won’t get into another “He’s just not really into you” segment ever again in their lives.

The fact that people, most especially my parents, can see what I saw in him melts my heart. It is one thing to feel blessed having him. But knowing that people I love acknowledge the same fact is beyond re-assuring.

Just this afternoon, as we were crossing Ayala Street, he, as always, moved to the dangerous side and held my hand. That scene took me back to the very instant I knew he was the one. Yes, I have re-told this story to friends a million times:

A typical afternoon. A busy street. And a boy who vowed to protect me for always.

That was the moment everything changed.

Seven years and 2 weeks ago, crossing the street had been my life’s metaphor for cutting across the safety line, fully facing up to the beautiful risks of falling absolutely in love with someone. And my life’s many chapters dissolved into thin air; only two parts remained: before this and after this.

Comments:
Tama, paki-duplicate si Keng. Ako unang customer. HAHA! :)

Curious lang talaga ako ah... pero sa personal ko na itatanong. Masyado namang bulgaran. Haha! :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]