Thursday, May 27, 2010

Upsides of traveling with MOM

I’ve heard it from other parents too often. Their children eventually grew up and reached a point when they refuse to tag along with their parents. They refuse attending get-togethers, weddings, alumni homecomings, office Christmas parties and what-not. So, inevitably, they get surprised when I show up in their monthly dinners, arm looped around my mom’s, without a trace of unwillingness in my face. I don’t know if that makes me a better daughter. What I do know is that I genuinely enjoy being with my mom.

This summer, we took a special 3-day trip to Ilocos together.

Traveling with her is like traveling with everything I need without having to bring a suitcase. Seriously, I can forget all my necessities and need not worry because I can find two of everything in her luggage. She is always prepared like that. My mom even made this mental note of people expecting pasalubong and I was deeply touched upon hearing my boyfriend’s name when she recited the list for me to check.

The trip was extra-special, not just for the places we visited, but more for the conversations we had. Grown-up conversation, that is. Hotel nights talking about career plans, love life and yes, even dream wedding destinations. There is something about the way we converse now that I can sense the amount of authority she is giving me to handle my life and make my own decisions. Even so, I would never want her to completely let go of me because there is no way I would let go of her. Not when I'm married, not when I'm 40, not ever.

At Cape Bojeador Lighthouse

Bagui Windmills

Not so grown-up here

Everything went perfectly well. Only that there is one downside.

Mom made me stand beside every picture-worthy view, every entrance gate, every museum corner and just about everywhere, hand side by side like an awkward schoolgirl, and took my picture- which would document that embarrassing moment forever!

not only oncenot even just twicebut too many pictures looking too awkward to share

But this one, I like. :))


Other than that, it was AMAZING.


Two 10-hour drives, 2 hotel nights and countless hours of being with my mom, which felt a lot like being with my best friend. I love my mom to pieces. And I will never let growing up and adult life, even love life, get in the way of us being us.



I guess we just found ourselves a new Summer Tradition. :)


Comments:
this is a random thing.totally not about your blog.i envy how your guy treats you :( I envy how he makes you feel secured and all.i wish i could say that for myself.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]