Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Weekend Ritual

Ever since that heavenly book-shopping spree with the boyfriend, I’ve been religiously allotting some precious time on weekends to cuddle up with a lovely book and a cup of yummy hot chocolate. Jus t about a month had passed and I’m currently on my fourth book. Not bad, right? Although, I must confess I sort of got sidetracked this recent weekend. To my defense, I worked until the morning of Saturday and basically slept through the rest of it. On Sunday, I opted to move back to having my “lazy day”, underneath the sheets from sunrise to sunset, surfing through cable channels, even though I was fully aware nothing was worth watching. Not even that boxing match.

Monday came and I flipped not a single page of my Nicholas Sparks. I found myself starting the week without the usual enthusiasm. I was dragging myself, from one excel sheet to another. I wasn’t being productive, although I faked being so. But I figured how draining it was, not to mention frustrating, to stare in my almost-finished report for hours, pretending to be polishing it, when my mind was wandering somewhere outside our office window.

To put it precisely, my mind was wandering somewhere into the next chapter of The Lucky One.


When I got home Monday night, I quickly changed into my comfortable PJs, unplugged the television and settled in my reading spot on the bed. I grabbed a book placed on top of a chaotic pile in my bedside table and started to flip the page.

I was in my most comfortable state, laughing with the characters, crying in spite of myself and savoring the pages while falling in love with every perfectly written phrase. Reading is my favorite escape. And on nights like this one, I wish it would just be my world.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]