Monday, February 8, 2010

Love/ Hate Letter

Dear Job,

Last week, I almost walked out on you. I was on the verge of seriously quitting and not looking back. Contrary to popular reasons, I didn’t get to that point because of insanely long work hours and unfortunately low pay. I almost called it quits because I felt you do not give importance to things that are important to me. And I cannot live with a job like that.

I begged you for a day off because it was the last day of my Lola’s wake, my last chance to see her and be with her. But rather than being considerate, you set a 6pm deadline for that same day and you even wanted me to work longer so we can finish the review and release the report. Like, you are effing kidding me, right? I never seriously complained about going home late and even spending overnights working, but that was way beyond my tolerance level. I think I sent that message by not showing up, even though you basically required me to.

I spent all weekend mulling over my choices. I could quit ASAP, I could wait until I reach a year in the firm before resigning or I could convince myself otherwise. After giving much thought into it, I went for my third option.

I decided not to resign because I realized that it wasn’t really YOU that is the problem, but other people that come with YOU, and I refuse to quit on a dream for those bullies. The regrets that will come later, for sure, will be too much to carry knowing it was my spineless, weakling version who decided to walk away.

So, since I’ve decided to go on with this love/hate affair, let’s set the boundaries crystal clear:

I will stay, even though friends and friends of friends resign and move on into more popular, higher-paying companies, as long as I feel it’s worth it; only as long as that.


Your ever-martyr slave,
Liana

Comments:
liana, i really love your post...pwedeng i-quote sa stats? haha... my lola died yesterday too and i'll be missing her funeral in the province. hay!
 
sure, dear.. thanks for dropping by my site! =)
 
Dear, super late reaction ako! hahaha =) Anyway, I uderstand how you feel! Kapag gusto talaga natin yung ginagawa natin, every sacrifice is worthy! I'm sure your job loves you too! =D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]