Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Great Yellow Hope

There are many reasons why I will vote for Noynoy this coming election, but first and foremost is that he is the son of the man who once carried the torch that lit up the entire nation, and the woman who, though hesitantly, courageously carried the torch when the desperate nation passed it to her.

There may be countless other more convincing reasons, but him being the son of Ninoy and Cory is enough for me.

Hear me out before you call me shallow.

At this point, when the government rests its feet on a poor moral foundation, we need someone who is willing to restore it to how it should be. We need someone who sees doing the right thing as a habit, as part of his persona, rather than a sacrifice. The best person to lead us is someone who was raised to be unselfish, someone who possesses the basic values of integrity, simplicity and decency. Although many might argue that it’s only by genetic accident that Noynoy is the son of the country’s most-loved couple, it is also unarguable that our parents are our greatest influences. He might not inherit his father’s eloquence nor his mother’s charisma, but I am sure, his parents handed down to him the same values that reminded us of what greatness truly means.

Throughout PGMA’s term, she had been using economic growth as a shield. She boasts of doing difficult decisions for economic advancement. But where have all those decisions brought us? The way I see it, we must first heal diversity and restore the people’s trust in a government that is truly for them, before we can advance as a nation. Thus, we need a leader like Noynoy.

I am only 20 years old, so what I think might not matter. But I am 20 years old, and so, this coming election, I will vote, and that matters.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]