Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Crappy 2-page Resume

Last night, I was going through my files- deleting those unnecessary and organizing those essential- when I came across my resume. That paper is, for the majority, an attempt to document my (almost) four years in College.

If that is so, crap, mine only reached 2 pages.

Some students may find that usual. I mean, how many conferences could a student be willing to attend in four years? How many organizations could you manage to be active in? How many awards could you attain in a land of god and goddesses?

Believe it or not, I know people who have at least 5 pages for their resumes. I felt shrinking by 4 feet when I read those sacred pages. I would totally appear like a slob when my resume stands beside theirs. So, as expected, I retreated to a shoulda-woulda-coulda- reflection that only made me feel worse.

Then, I asked myself, “What was I doing while they were managing their future? Where was I when all those conferences were held and those projects implemented?”.
Oh. Right.

In all those times, I had opted to manage my relationships, than mind my future. I know I don’t sound like the model student, but looking back, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

A resume should be about honors, recognitions, conferences and positions. In that regard, I totally deserve the crappy 2- page one I have now. But all those missed extra- curricular activities, all those “stuffs” that should have filled another 2 pages for my resume, I missed them all for a walk-off-the–anger marathon with a friend who had a bad week, a trip to the salon with my best friend after a hellish sub-module, a 3-hour laugh trip with blockmates at Medrano and a long- awaited date with the boyfriend who had equally stressful days.

I missed things for others that, for me, are far more important. I know I cannot put “ a reliable friend and a loyal girlfriend” to lengthen my resume, but it makes me feel more worthy knowing that I have achievements that go way beyond what a document reflects- and I have people who would celebrate with me about all those written in there.

Comments:
Dear, ganun din ako. Isa ko sa mga, kung tawagin dito eh, 'barbaric'. Joining an org never entered my mind. It isn't about all the public humiliations upon application. I just don't like it when other people hold my time, and manipulate my schedules.

I don't even know if my resume would reach a second page. But who the hell cares.

:))

I missed you too. I'll be updating this every now and then:)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]