Sunday, July 27, 2008

For the Nth Time

A couple of days ago, a friend started a conversation with this question:

“Do you really want to be a housewife?”

Completely out of nowhere, he raised that question, but I wasn’t really surprised. I receive that all the time. The whys, the confuse looks, even some disgusted looks. But I still give the same answer, “yes”.

I don’t know why people find it hard to understand that. Am I the only human being in this planet who wants nothing more than a loving husband and two or three kids who would stay cute and sweet despite their ages?

Perhaps, it’s not that they don’t understand.
Perhaps, my answer is too simple. A “yes” might be too straightforward that they assume I would get married straight after graduation.

Oh well, for my family’s ( and Keng’s) peace of mind, that’s not what my “yes” meant. Actually, it’s sort of the opposite of that.

I said “I want to be a housewife”.

By that I actually meant, “Before I settle down, I want to accomplish every selfish dream I have. So when I’ll start my own family, I would be happy to be taken away by the love of my life, even though he would ask me to just stay in the house and wait for him to go home after work, cook him dinner, clean our own castle, run after the kids and scrub their drawings off our neatly- painted walls.”

The I-want-to-be-a-housewife answer is obviously a shortcut. It’s not a goal, actually, but more of a sign that I have fulfilled my dreams and that I’m ready to create new ones with someone else.

So again, it’s not about limiting myself as a wife and a mother. It’s about doing whatever it takes, and whatever it doesn’t, to be the best wife and the best mother.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]