Monday, June 30, 2008

Hope for Sale

Yesterday, my parents and I went to the supermarket. On our way home, my dad parked the car near a small store to buy newspaper. When I looked out my window, I saw this man sitting on the dirty floor, selling recycled bottles as decorative vases to passers- by.

My heart cringed at this vision. I felt for that man. He was too old to still be in the streets, making a living. He should be at home, resting and being taken cared of by his loved ones. So without letting a minute more pass, I went out of the car and handed this old man P10 in exchange of one vase he was selling.

Honestly, I think no one would ever consider buying those vases for its intended purpose. They weren’t nice to look at. They were obviously made from plastic bottles and straw. I doubt if that man could even sell five pieces a day.

So why did I buy one?

I did, because I admired him for finding ways to help his family. Like I said, the vases weren’t, at all, beautiful, but he still went to the streets looking for people who would buy them. He believed there would be, and I don’t want him to lose that hope.

I paid P10, not for a vase, but for a heart I hope will not falter.

When I think of it, it’s the most reasonable spending I did in a long while.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]