Sunday, April 27, 2008

Smallest Fish in the Sea

Other than stacks of books and pirated DVDs, what has been keeping me occupied this summer is this whole ACPACI thing. I remember writing about being ‘Next in Line’ on that sometime last year. Yet, I’m still surprised to find myself sitting among those people who are highly qualified to represent the school. I feel honored and flattered, but really, I haven’t felt out of place for a long time, until last Friday.

During the first of the 3-day qualifying exam, I was, up until the last minute, kind of wondering how I even ended up there. I mean, come on, I felt so small inside that room. There were 12 of us and half will be chosen to compete next year. Honestly, I thought Sir Tugas can just pick names out of a fishbowl, as long as he keeps mine out of it. Everyone was just so competitive and so deserving of a slot, except- you guessed it right- me.

I remember a friend asking me if I wanted this. Of course, I do. Not everyone is given the chance to actually get a chance to represent his/ her school in a competition that prestigious. I’m just not sure if I was cut out for it. Before College, it felt like the spotlight just finds its way to me. I don’t even have to exert effort for people to notice what I’m made of. I was just always pushed up to the stage and, fortunately, was able to deliver every time. So this whole ‘qualifying’ thing is new to me. I’m not being cocky here or whatever. I’m just surprised that even if I’m now in a bigger and much challenging field, I manage to show people I’m deserving of a shot. The mere fact I still am enrolled in this program, considering the mortality rate, is already an achievement. Being considered as someone who is among the ‘chosen few’ is extremely gratifying- and unexpected.

Whichever end I find myself in after this, whether I’ll be congratulated or Ill do the congratulating, I know I’ll be in high spirits. Besides, Liana Igna- Most Outstanding Accounting Student sounds weird, after all.

But not that bad, either.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]