Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Always and Forever

Since I opted for summer bum-ness over summer classes, I’m living up to its benefits. I stayed in the house, with the remote control in one hand and a can of Pringles in the other. I watched the 1st 2 episodes of OTH’s Season 2 for the nth time. Nathan and Haley’s love story is just so heartwarming. And seeing how they ended up getting married in high school, I just can’t help but reminisce how Keng and I worked and waited into fitting every important person in our lives, into our world.

Unlike Haley’s parents, mine were more practical than romantic. Keng and I were so young when we met; well, at least, too young to get into a serious relationship. But even though my parents were kind of strict, we never thought of disobeying them and hiding from them anything. I remember this one conversation I had with my mom:

Mom: Anak, don’t rush into things. You’ll meet a lot of good guys, especially in College.
Me: (teary-eyed) But I don’t think I’ll ever find someone like him.
Mom: In that case, you both have to keep each other close. But jumping into a relationship won’t do that. You’re both young and you’ll end up hurting each other.

Yeah, I know, that’s one of the many cheesy talks I’ve had with my mom.

If there’s one thing that kept Keng and I together in high school, it was our choice to listen. We were humble enough to admit that at that stage, our parents knew better than us and it would be for our own good to obey them.

Looking back at those days when I can’t even mention his name in front of my dad, it feels weird whenever a family member brings up his name over dinner conversations. My mom usually asks about his grades, my dad about how well he’s treating me and my brother, uh, about his ipod, his cellphone, his laptop and whatever gadget they both have.

I love my family, and I am oh so in love with Keng; they are all part of my future plans.
And seeing us, my family, Keng and I, this happy, together in our own small world, God, it feels so right, just so, so, right.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]