Tuesday, February 5, 2008

23 Candles

After killing several brain cells while working on my thesis, a kind of funny question popped in my mind: IF I HAD NO IDEA WHEN MY BIRTHDAY WAS, HOW OLD WOULD I THINK I AM TODAY?

Silly question- but a difficult silly question at that.

So how old would I think I am right now?

If I will base my answer on the way I converse with my dad, I’m probably 12 years old.

If I will base my answer on the way I handle pressures in school, I can consider myself in my early twenties.

If I will base my answer on how I behave whenever Keng and I argue about something, I’m probably 15.

If I will base my answer on the way I view life, especially when I’m being profound, I’m already in my thirties.

Spending a few minutes mulling over this question made me realize that age doesn’t show how we deal with life. On the contrary, it's how we deal with life that reflects how old we are. The decisions we make, the goals we set, they are based purely on our level of maturity. The candles on top of the cake will never be the basis of our actions. In that case, it’s never scary growing older.

So to all teenagers out there, don’t make stupid and careless judgments just because you think you’re young and you can afford to make them. You will never be able to turn around everything you’ve done when you realized you’re old enough to start taking life seriously. Oopsie. Pardon my unsolicited advice; I’m just a no- longer- a- teenager-in-a-few months-time trying to share what life has taught me.

By the way, for the sake of answering the question, I can say I probably would think I am 23 years old- for the sole reason that my brother is 22 and I am definitely, definitely more matured than he is. *wink*





Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]