Monday, December 10, 2007

The One That Got Away

A week ago, a dear friend posted an article about lost loves and the regrets that go with them. She mentioned it wasn’t meant for me, since I won’t be able to relate to the story.

That’s what she said; that’s what she thought.

Aside from basketball, one thing I was as passionate about was writing. I was a staffer of our school’s publication, Forum, when I was in 2nd year high school. I was promoted to being the Assistant Managing Editor in my third year. Unluckily, I didn’t make it to the Editor-in-Chief slot during my senior year. The position went to a very deserving friend, anyway.

Until now, I can remember that interview I had with Ms. Jamie, our adviser. She asked me if I was willing to give up being a member of the basketball team to be the EIC. It was a brainless question for me. Of course, I answered no.

The end of the interview was the time for me to say bye- bye to the dream of seeing my name go across the ‘Editor- in- Chief’ title on the Editorial board. However, I still don’t regret the decision I made; I don’t think I ever will.

Basketball and writing are two things I enjoy. I cannot give up one for the sake of a title. I revel writing, for the most part that it allows me to voice out my views in a proper forum. I believe I could still do so even if I wasn’t on top of the team.

Being the EIC was an honor I could have relished. Being the Associate Editor and a ball player at the same time made me feel complete.

Now, if I may say so, there is one thing in my life that got away. But just like two people who are meant for each other, it found a way to come back to me. I guess what I’m saying is, I can’t believe I can now call myself an EIC. Finally.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]