Thursday, December 6, 2007

Fickle

Perhaps, I really am brainy.

Being a bona fide member of the Accountancy pool, I am not just expected to train hard and eventually give pride to the school through trophies and medals. Over and above that, I am tasked to help my fellow Accounting students survive the backbreaking world of Accountancy by means of tutorials.

Yesterday, I underwent my very first finals tutorials. I was assigned to tutor Meyrick, a frosh. With all honesty, I think he was smart. He was just caught by those traps set by his professor in their mind- boggling exams. I, without question, knew how it felt to be tricked, be careless, and fail the quiz. So before we formally started, I gave him the usual pep talk about not giving up and always keeping his goal in mind.

When Meyrick began digging up his test papers, I felt terribly nervous about not being able to help him in anyway. I have never believed I was smart enough to teach someone. Whatever grades I received in my Major subjects, I charged them on the lucky day, the easy final exams, the last- minute adjustments and everything other than my capability. I would leave the room right there and then if only I had the chance to.

Meyrick’s currently taking up ACBAS2- a subject I took 2 years ago. I couldn’t even remember anything my history professor discussed the other day. He’s such a poor guy to have been assigned to me. I badly needed to check if there was any relevant knowledge stored in my brain.


Good thing, there was a lot.


Our discussion went really, really well. I was able to explain to him his mistakes in his previous quizzes. I also gave him some tips when taking the exam. Whenever he flashed that now- I- get- it smile, my heart couldn’t help but leap in ecstasy. The best part of the experience? He asked for my number and he said he wants another tutorial session if I was free any time on Friday.

Looking back, I remember including ‘teacher’ in my “I want to be a” list, together with lawyer, housewife, and, believe it or not, nun. I have always admired teachers for being able to effect change and see it with their two eyes. More significantly, I admire their ability to aid their students in their baby steps toward their dreams.

So maybe, just maybe, I could make a good professor, someday. Despite the whopping pay checks I would receive by being a full- time CPA, teaching might be a more meaningful and fulfilling route.

Now, I tell myself:

I am intelligent- if that’s what it takes to muster enough pluck to actually pursue teaching as one of my vocations.

I am intelligent- if that’s what I have to be in order to assist young minds in the journey towards becoming the persons they want to be.


I am intelligent- but take out all those grounds I’ve mentioned above, perhaps, I’m still not.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]