Monday, November 26, 2007

We Changed the World

“How do we change the world? One at a time.”- Mother Theresa

Last Saturday, before I was all dressed up for JPIA’s acquaintance party, before I danced the night away with friends at Fiam(m)a, before I smiled and posed with every click of the camera, before I hanged out at Starbucks with my parents after midnight, I was at QC- playing with less fortunate kids.

Organizing the feeding activity was a total mess. Our group already prepared modules suited for a specific center only to find out we would be assigned to a different one two days before the actual exposure. Worse, we knew how to get to the place with no more than 12 hours before call time. The activity definitely tested my patience to its limit. I was pretty sure I would be frowning the entire day, not because I didn’t want to be there, but because of all the last- minute changes and wasted efforts.

Luckily, my friends were armed with juicy stories and ice- breaking jokes that lightened up my mood on our way to QC. When we reached the place, I was already wearing a smile on my then- gloomy face.

We were over-whelmed by the community’s support. The men set- up a tarp- like thing to cover the court to prevent Mr. sunshine from burning our skin. A home- owner was also generous enough to lend us her karaoke and vcd player so we could some play novelty songs. The entire morning, it was evident in those kids’ eyes that they had fun in our programs, that they felt comfortable around us, and, most importantly, that they felt we cared for them.

The giggles, the “Ate, thank you”s, and those tiny hands clinging unto mine, they made every drop of sweat worth it. The children reminded me how easy it was to be happy- only when you choose to be. One time, a kid shouted, “Uy, may dala silang Jollibee!”. The rest of the children responded, “Wow, Jollibee!”. The excitement in their voices reminded me of those things I took for granted which could be significant to kids like them.

I felt tired when I got home. My back ached a little so had to lie down. Before I finally closed my eyes and slept, I recalled those innocent faces who were eagerly waiting for us. At this age, I still rely on fancy things to cheer me up. I still resort to shopping after a bad day, and I still believe a pedicure is the best cure to heartaches. Last Saturday, I realized, getting out of the way to help people, especially kids, is still the best pick- upper- and more.

“Whenever you do good, the world changes”- unknown


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]