Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Rekindling my First Love

Way before my classmates and I were allowed to use pens in class, I already had my first love. He didn’t have that gorgeous face and irresistible smile, though; but he definitely made my stomach churn in excitement.

Wait, he’s not even a he, nor a she, of course.

My first love is basketball- with all those hot guys making hoops.

At seven years old, my favorite TV show was PBA. My life revolved around Alaska and it’s ever- dependable team captain, Jojo Lastimosa. He was the hottest of the cagers, by the way, and until now I couldn’t understand why he hadn’t received any MVP award.

I started playing the sport when I was in my third grade. And damn, I loved it even more. The adrenaline rush and the feeling of sweat all over my body- those made my whole elem and hs life complete.

And as expected in every affair, basketball was also, to some extent, my first heartbreak. Long class hours, piles of paper works, and bloodcurdling exams caused our break- up. I haven’t picked up a basket ball for nearly three years now, and my skills (if I had any) are perhaps rotten. I may never be able to play the sport again, but I will always remain a ball player at heart; well, at least, I try to.

So, what’s inside the heart of a ball player?

I’ve always admired athletes, and I’m amazed by their courage in choosing to be one. They are one of the humblest people in this world, at least for me, anyway. Imagine, they go out, train hard and live their lives with 50% probability of facing defeat every other day. I can’t do that. I can’t be them. I haven’t even participated in any quiz bee in my entire stay here on Earth because I’m terrified to hear the emcee announce, “Liana Igna, Zero point”.

But thanks to my all- time idols, Jolas, the Flying A, the Rocket, Coach Carter and, of course, MJ, I’m inspired to live a life like theirs- minus the fans, the coaches and the thrilling games, of course. I want to have their courage and face each challenge despite the fact that I can end up having this big L plastered on my forehead.

Just last month, I signed up for the Accounting Pool. I’ve been planning for a year to join and I’m glad I finally had the strength to. Surprisingly, I aced the qualifying exam.

I already made the first step. I’m already in my jersey and flashy rubber shoes. Now, it’s time to train hard and prepare for the bigger monsters waiting. So what if I have never hit that buzzer? I soon will and I’ll make sure it counts under that W column.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]