Saturday, November 10, 2007

I Watch My Friends Fall, One by One

Fall in love, that is.

From normal girly conversations to Oh- he’s –so cute- talaga speeches, from the usual blank stares to uncontrollable day dreaming, from forced smiles to effortless ear to ear grins- these symptoms made it absolutely certain that my friends have been bitten by the love bug.

I feel so excited for them. I’m delighted to see their faces lit up whenever the guy’s name is mentioned, and I can’t refrain from imagining how fun it will be to have a group of couples date with them.

However, the over- protective part of me often eats up the excitement. I cannot block the thought of seeing my friends devastated over an unrequited love. I cannot avoid worrying about them and their fragile hearts. Seeing a friend read a “He’s just not into you” book makes me want to place a huge mirror in front of her in case she’s not aware of all the wonderful qualities she possesses- inside and out.

I love my friends; and knowing how fabulous each one of them is makes me grit my teeth in anger whenever I see them cry over some guy. I want to shield them from heartbreaks and puffy red eyes, and kick all those loser guys away from them. But at the end of the day, I’m just “the friend”. I’m not the one on the battlefield, anymore. I’ve already won and found the place where my heart truly belongs.

It’s my friends’ turn to find theirs.

Patiently and ever so supportively, I’ll watch them win over those what ifs and maybes. I’ll stay close behind for rescue in case the he’s- not- into- you monster attacks. And, of course, I’ll be willing to dish out some cash for coffee and chocolates when those i-need-someone-to-talk-to circumstances come up.

I’ve been really close to these girls, and I know they deserve a love like what baby shampoo guarantees- no more tears (remember?); but since that kind has never really reached the shelves, I’ll always be here in case it hurts.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]