Thursday, November 22, 2007

From Day One and Counting

Of all the commencements I’ve faced in my life, College was the one that most frightened me. A new (and bigger) school, different culture, fresh faces- the thought of never being able to fit in or, at least, find a small group of people I could call friends made my heart cringed.

When the dreaded orientation came, I, as usual, wore my hey- I- can- be- your- friend smile. And it worked.

I introduced myself to the girl behind me. Her surname was Co, and my middle name was Kho. Despite the fact that there were definitely more than a hundred Cos and Khos at La Salle, we found that pretty amazing. The next day, we happened to be wearing almost matching in- blouses. Now, that’s fate. We started calling each other, “soulmate”, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Just weeks ago, I received a special gift from her for my birthday. She gave me a book entitled, “500 Reasons Why You’re My Best Friend” by Lorraine Bodger. Finally, I was able to expand my tight schedule and finish reading it.



Dear, the entire book had our names written all over it. I just want to highlight certain lines that undeniably speak about us:

Reason #37 A brand- new manicure, we totally agree, is the perfect pick- upper when life is looking gray and gloomy.

Reason #88 Juicy gossip is juicier when I share it with you.

Reason #168 You remind me, when I have to make choices, that it’s my life and nobody else’s, that I can do whatever I want, and that in the end I don’t have to justify my behavior to anyone but myself. Another life lesson.


Reason #183 I don’t have to watch what I say when we’re talking, the way I do when talking with certain other people. And you know who I mean.

Reason #277 On class trips, you always wanted to stick close to me.

Reason #434 I love you just the way you are and I hope you will never change.


With every flip of the page, I found myself laughing, smiling and just staring at the words in awe. Howbeit, as I finally closed the book, I was still dissatisfied. Our friendship in words? 500 reasons, my dear, would never seem enough.






Luv yah, soulmate! And more soulmates’ day to come!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]