Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Why not the WORLD?

Why not the world?- this tag line was used by Inquirer (if I remember it right) months ago for their ads. And, as weird as it may sound, it just popped in my mind on a long and tiring trip home.


So, why not the world?


A lot of people, with their beaming eyes and dreamy tone, have told me that with a DLSU diploma and a CPA license under my name, I can work in wherever place I wish to in this whole wide world.


I believe them. My professors are living proofs.


But why is there not a sole chance I ever think of conquering the world as a Certified Public Accountant? Why have I never dreamt of climbing up the corporate ladder of a multinational company? And why am I so passionate about pursuing law, yet not having the intention of working as a lawyer?

I’m a competitive person, or so I believe I am.


Though I’m not the G.C. type they expect every BSA student to be, I still exert effort to prepare for they day ahead. I don’t do extra researches or read loads of stuffs but I’m confident that I, at least, know the general idea of the topic to be discussed. I can call myself hard- working but I’m not a nerd. I don’t think I’m ‘worthy’ to be called one, anyway. I still choose watching basketball games and talk shows before reviewing for exams. I still copy home works from those people who are willing to share theirs. And I didn’t even bother to review much for a 110- item quiz I would take the next day so as not to have eye bags on my graduation pic. ( duh? My pic was more important!) Anyway, despite my quite confusing priorities, I manage to consistently maintain a spot in the dean’s list.


So why am I doing all this? Why am I working so hard? And the most important question to ask actually is: what do I really want to become?





My friends, my parents, my professors, and uhmmm, well, practically everyone I know have asked me that question. And believe me, I asked myself the same five times more than everyone else who did. And every time, one word will come out of my mouth: HOUSEWIFE


I have received a lot of different reactions because of that. Some find it funny, some are amazed, but no one has ever reacted violently and I’m keeping my fingers crossed on that.


Sometimes, I wonder whether they think of me as someone stupid to ever dream of just becoming a housewife. Maybe some judged me as being dim- witted or a dumb ass. I don’t care. Yes, I feel delighted after seeing a 3.5 or 4.0 in my course card. But the ecstasy it gives lasts for just 10 minutes! Being a housewife, I know, deep within my heart of hearts, will bring me contentment and happiness that last long enough to give me the strength to even smile on my death bed.


My dreams aren’t made of plaques and fame and thousand dollar pay checks and stilettos. My dream has always been about a lifetime love and wonderful kids and hours in the kitchen and drawings all over neatly painted walls.



I will conquer the world one day. But not the same world Lea Salonga had in mind when she pursued her dreams. My world isn’t composed of vast continents and unfathomable seas. My world is small, protected, taken cared of, loved and filled with the aroma of freshly baked lemon squares and cream puffs.




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]